Spectrum International

Doceo et Praecipio   ( Inform and Advise ) 

Visa and Permits

What is the difference?


VISA:  Basically a Visa states the reason you are in the Country.  This can be many:  Work, Freelance, Artists, Student, Marriage, and many others.   All non-EU Citizens require a Visa for stays of longer than 3 months.

Residence Permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis or Aufenthaltstiteln).    As the name implies this is your permission to actually reside here - i.e stay of longer than  3 months.  Please do not confuse this with the Residence Registration, which is also necessary. See below:

Residence Registration:  (Anmeldung).  Not to be confused with the Residence Permit above, this is also necessary as proof of your actual accommodation address.  This can be your own apartment or even that of a friend – you must report where you are physically living – AND you must re-register each time you move within Germany – even if it is a c/o address, or you move just ‘next door’ or ‘across the street’ etc.!

IMPORTANT:  When you finally leave Germany you MUST de-register and obtain a de-registration certificate (Abmeldungschein).   You will need this in order to terminate any contracts you have entered into whilst in Germany and relative to legal requirements here, such as Health Insurance, Mobile Phones, Rental agreements etc.

Visa and residence permits are only required for NON-EU citizens.  Residency registration is required for everyone - German nationals included.
  To obtain a Residence Permit, Non-EU citizens will require approved health insurance and a certificate from the insurance company stating that the insurance complies with the German legal requirements.  Spectrum International can provide this for clients who have approved insurances arranged through Spectrum.

TIP:    See also:  GETTING A VISA.  - Get Visa Germany http://www.getvisagermany.com

IMPORTANT:  Health insurance can take a few days to arrange.  PLEASE do not leave this until the last minute before applying for your residence permit.   

Allow at least 7 working days.