Spectrum International

Doceo et Praecipio   ( Inform and Advise ) 


 Private Health Insurance  

(for Self-employed/Freelancers)


IMPORTANT:  Health insurance can take a few days to arrange.  PLEASE do not leave this until the last minute before applying for your residence permit.   

Allow at least 7 working days.



By far the most popular status for most of our enquirers.   Private health insurance is often the only option.   This is invariably a new experience for most and it is therefore most important that you get the correct and most comprehensive professional advice.   


There are over 40 German Private Health Insurers and most offer a range of plans with various options and at various costs so many permutations!

There are also International Private Insurers.   Not all international insurances are however acceptable for the issue of a residence permit, and in fact not all German insurances are either.  It depends on your intended length of stay in Germany and for which type of residence permit you are applying.   We will advise you which are appropriate and which are not.


Please note, however, that most German insurers will not offer cover at all to non-EU citizens, unless you have already been here for 2 years or more, or have a permanent residence permit. 

We are however able to arrange immediate cover with a German insurer.  It is more expensive than International insurance and is not an easy process.  Acceptance is also not guaranteed. 

International insurance can be arranged quicker and easier - no medical examinations are required.  International insurances are invariably 'Moratorium Underwriting'. i.e. they will either not cover pre-existing conditions, or may offer special terms, so acceptance is virtually guaranteed in all cases.  International Insurance is also usually much cheaper than German Private.